Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Dogma vs. Gnosticism continued

A Reader commented on the last blog post and I decided that these are some really excellent questions worth digging into. Deep stuff. Here we go!
Paul(Nite Reflections) said: "I agree about being innocent by birth. I can also see evidence of the "born in sin" concept. When you look at the selfish instinct of a toddler. I guess if a toddler is told "no don't touch that" he could get protective of his own things. So, I guess that could be a learned response. Sorry I guess I am debating with myself here."
Debate until the day you die, man. Because really, what else is there? If we were stagnant and boring people then what the hell is the point of continuing to breathe? Really. Seriously contemplate that. What's the point of taking that next breath if this is all there is? This world is nuts. If there wasn't a point to it all I'd be six feet under right now. By nature, I am easily bored.

Confronting learned responses one at a time is vital to gnostic growth. Breaking yourself free from them is hard work. Baby steps. 


Here's the gnostic answer to your query about sin and children/adults: we grow through time, just like any other creature. The 'selfish' actions of a toddler are just exactly what they are- the actions of a child with a child's mind and a child's body. Through time we grow and learn what is not selfish. Our parents and community raise us to have morals which will help guide us through society successfully. But, it's up to us to freely use their advice or to ignore it. We create the life we want, period.  You already know this. So now comes the obvious question: where did the original morality come from?

Use it or ignore it, the same is true with pleroma's morality and the freedom that he shouts is available to us. It is up to us to decide how to use that freedom. The freedom has always really been ours but dogma is like a choke chain around our neck. It cuts off the oxygen to our very thirsty brain. It's such a profound thing to tell someone or to have pleroma whisper in their ear, "Life itself is not evil. Live it. Experience it. You can do whatever you want." 

It's like the person's internal bubble bursts and they start clawing and scrambling for walls that aren't there anymore. A lot of people freak out for a few months while they adjust to the epiphany. When pleroma says you can do whatever you want that's exactly what he means. You can get up out of bed for the day or you can lay and daydream. He knows there are repercussions for you choosing the second option and gosh darn it, he's going to let you figure out what they are! That doesn't mean he's not going to chide like the child you're being as you're laying there, though.

To put it into simple context-- If we were truly 'born in sin' then any civilization before Christ's intervention would have been nothing but a slobbery mass of murdering heathens with no concept of morality or organized structure. But this isn't so. Archeology is proving without a doubt that the time before Christ was rich and filled with hope, the same as now. Just for an example of the kind of organization and cooperation necessary to create community and purpose, read about Gobekli Tepe, a place we still know next to nothing about. This civilization is around 12,000 years old!!! Stone Henge is only between 4,000-5,000 thousand years old. Christianity is only around 2,000 years old. Doesn't that make your head spin? 

We're talk about 10,000 years of time before Christ in which these people lived and died and what they left behind is so momentous we are gaping at it like children. And yet look at the skyscrapers and airplanes we've built? Aren't they amazing? And yet we're still gaping like wide eyed children at people's leavings of over 10,000 years ago. 

Even Plato and Plotinus, Euripides, Ptolemy, Porphyry, and the like... these scientists and philosophers are only around 2,000 years old. When you think of what could have come before them, it makes you realize just how much humanity has lost and gained again. We're in a gnostic Renaissance right now. Stretching our intellect inside the tight dogmatic skin we've created for ourselves the past 2,000 years is going to be painful for a while yet.
  
Paul(Nite Reflections) said: "There are some things that are honestly are a stretch for me, having been taught otherwise for 50 years. The biggest question that came to my mind was, where do Gnostics stand on creation vs evolution. If we didn't rise up out of a garden, what is the Gnostic theory?"
This is a fundamentalist mind trap. It's a divisive diversion and we're stuck on it for a variety of reasons. We have to consider here, first, that the theory of evolution has only been in the mainstream education system for a handful of decades. Before that every school had a parochial slant in the science and history department so this is a lot for our older generations to recover from.

The gnostic theory is part of the Donut and Coke Bottle brain teaser I've been talking about for a few months. I believe that the creation/evolution question is never really going to be answered because of dogma. Dogmatic thought and control processes as part of our civilization are just too strong. All we can do is see it's(creation's/evolution's) results. Gnosis will always be a minority thought pattern. We will never have big glorious churches because there is no profit in that(we wouldn't use them anyway!) and the powers-that-be on this world(archons) are all about influence and control. 

But the good things is that trying to get rid of religion in science(and vice versa) is ... well... impossible. The more our brightest scientists learn the more they keep turning to questioning religion and our origins. It's the greatest mystery for the human mind to ponder. Some scientists say it's the only question worth asking and they're finding bread crumbs to follow in everything from DNA folding(our understanding of which came from the art of origami paper folding!!!) to the gasses inside of stars and following their trajectory throughout their life. 

Looking out in the sciences isn't going to get us the real meaty answers, though. Those answers are going to come within and as individuals. This is the exoteric as opposed to the esoteric, however even this is becoming an old way of seeing things now because they're gradually merging! The exoteric sciences are leading to greater understanding of the esoteric sciences of our own soul and existence on this plane of reality.

The mass of humanity won't ever really get it.  But it will not be because information isn't made public; they won't 'get it' because it wont resonate with them on a personal level. They're not ready for it. Personal understanding is essential to going up that ladder toward him.

Read about white holes which are the opposite of black holes. Science is vital to understanding what we are as a physical manifestation but it's amazing to me just how much of this theory overlaps with metaphysical and religious theory. 

For example, some scientists are theorizing(with some proof to back it up so far) that we are nothing but holograms. No computer system today can DISprove it. These, and other scientists are also working on the theory that we are energetic beings which are so closely entwined that when confined alone we would go insane. We need one another for some real physical reason but the electricity is the only formed hypothesis so far. Electricity?!! What are we, batteries? Or is this relating to the aiua theory by Orson Scot Card(sci-fi writer extraordinaire) who has prompted study in this new field? But wait-the 'aiua' isn't new. It's old. Really old. The oldest gnostic thinkers knew about this but told us in allegorical stories. What is old is new again. Or is it being recycled through our massive human consciousness?

I'd never heard of white holes before last week and yet my answer concerning the Donut and Coke Bottle Challenge has already been written(Note: the answer is not a white hole, per say). Now there's a strange coincidence. Which isn't. Which makes it even more cosmically funny. Pleroma's a goofball.

Every gnostic piece of writing and every gnostic I have ever talked to about humanity's genesis have been in either of these two camps: 

  1. One group answers with a koan like this, "How do you know we really originated on Earth?"  Truly enlightened people, I tell you.  They call us stardust babies.
  2. The other group answers with scientific data and usually shrugs their shoulders and says, "The elder gnostics wrote what pleroma told them and didn't have any other way to explain it. Now we have the science but even so we're still children in that field. The Garden story is a metaphor for humanity growing up, which we are still doing as individuals as we combat dogma." 

Even Jesus himself as a man or spirit or somewhere in between, gnostics are all on the fence about him. Gnosis is individual but with some very common threads. 

We're questioners. That is what we do. That is our job. We are professional students of the human condition.
  
Paul(Nite Reflections) said: "With Sophia being the wisdom of Pleroma would you say that would be kind of the same thing as the Holy Spirit to Jehovah?"
Sophia. This spirit is something of an enigma to me still. Personally, I think I missed her along the way. I jumped right from "Tarot.. hmmm. could be interesting to learn about" which lasted a grand total of a year to "Holy crap, who's singing to me in the shower?!!" 

What I means is that someone can jump from hylic to psychic to pneumatic in weird off the wall ways. I never saw or felt Sophia along my way. I don't feel a separate manifestation from pleroma. I don't feel anything particularly female or separate from his intelligence or strong personality. 

All the reading I've done on Sophia does indicate she is like the Holy Spirit. Or even, in a pagan sense, the Goddess Mother. In my pagan phase I could never conjure up or talk to anyone like her, let along connect with any of those spirits. It would not surprise me in the least if this is exactly what she is; simply a pagan-turned-dogma character gnostics made up to create dialogue with fundamentalists using their concepts. Certainly wouldn't be the first time!

So then is the gnostic 'genesis' story still correct? Did Sophia create the demiurge? I don't know.  Personal experience tells me that I can sense pleroma, the demiurge, and all the archonic forces within our lives. But Sophia? I just don't know. There are some gnostic stories which have speculated that Sophia went on vacation somewhere after creating her awful child or that she merged back with pleroma to be at peace after her decision. So can we still sense her?

When I was a Christian in the dogmatic sense, I never once felt the Holy Ghost. I did feel(what I now recognize) pleroma trying to bust down my mental doors, but there was nothing Ghostly about it, not in anyway the Holy Ghost has ever been described as a spirit or essence of god.

Now, as a gnostic I think back to that time and realize that the reason was that it's all one. There is no two or three. It's just one. We try to personify him and compartmentalize him out into parts we can understand in human terms but it's just impossible.  He's massive. And this is the reason why he tries to be so gentle with us; he knows he overwhelms us! Look at all of the gnostic definitions for pleroma. Just reading down a small portion of that list makes my head throb. It's a physicists worst nightmare, trying to quantify that. And yet look at our universe itself. Is there a coincidence there?

In my article Gnostic Universe at a Glance I talk about the three main variations of how gnostics view our universe. I am more partial to the onion-verse. It makes more sense to me, especially regarding the demiurge(Jehovah/Yahweh).

Paul, with your background you'll probably find the mainstream Cathar depiction to be more understandable, at least for now. It looks quite a bit more like what you're used to. 

I'm going to be posting the answer to the Challenge soon and since I am referencing the Gnostic Universe at a Glance here I wanted to give another small hint-- invert the onion.



5 comments:

Paul said...

I will make a point to go read the Gnostic Universe at a Glance. The past couple of days of not responding and letting everything sink in has led me to remember a blog post I wrote almost 4 years ago. Maybe it was "divine inspiration" I never know. How do we know we don't just remember? How do we know God isn't slapping us upside the head. It also bugs me when people say "God spoke to me" and they give somebody their infinite words of wisdom, and they are so full of crap that you can tell it just an ego stroking moment they had. But anyway, back on track. However I remembered, I thought of this post. The post was as totally accurate and true as my finite brain could allow. But, even when I was experiencing it and then writing it, I thought there should be even more. Here is the link if you want to check it out. If it doesn't work it is called Sudden Revelation over on my blog. Or, it's short, let me know and I can paste it here.

blogspot.com/search/label/Personal%20Biblical%20Insight-%20Sudden%20Revelationnitereflections.

Even then I thought the expanse of the sky was much to close. There should be something greater,far beyond. I just didn't know how to write about it as far as I know there is no more.
Like you said "keep debating" This is why I always say at the end of my posts. Keep searching. We never know the answers if we don't search

Angel said...

I wrote a book, Paul. I kinda figured you'd take a while to mull it all over. lol. We have a tendency to talk about some heavy stuff. Mental gymnastics of the philosophical variety. It ain't for wimps!!

I remember that blog post you're talking about! Gorgeous. Man, I felt like I was there with you, seeing that endlessness. Just beautiful. Gives me shivers.

God is always slapping us upside the head. But it's really more like a hug, a smack, a kiss, then a sigh. Then he waits for us to fall asleep so he can torture us some more with weird assed dreams. When the Moment hits, when Connection happens it's so sudden and so delightful it's like a soul splashing wave of clarity has infused your very being.

Talking about this stuff on a blog can seem kinda of like mental/spiritual masturbation sometimes. Sometimes I'm not sure I don't come across like what you're describing. I try not to. But when pleroma whispers some inspiring koan or shoves some crazed images and dialogue in my head that make me sit up and laugh, I feel the need to share the love. Thankfully, gnosis isn't a philosophy or path which is too keen on dictating to people a whole lot. It's more about setting people free to learn on their own without shackles.

I haven't found very many other places like this online, which freely share gnostic insight. All the churchy-type gnostic organizations are all ..... oh what's the word? .... diving toward dogma. Yes. That's it. It's disheartening. You can't substitute the real for symbolism and pageantry just because it's what you're used to in the past. It doesn't work like that. Gnosis breaks you free of those bonds. You don't have to go through those motions.

You said, "The post was as totally accurate and true as my finite brain could allow. But, even when I was experiencing it and then writing it, I thought there should be even more."

You're right. There should be even more. There IS!!! Keep relaxing, Paul. Sink into it. Let it happen. He's like a lover you're holding at arm's length out of conditioned fear. About writing: we only have what words there are available to us to express it. We're limited in our humanity. 99% of the time all we can do is FEEL; soak up the experience and emotion and then do our humble best to recount it if inspired to. The longer I live with gnosis the more apparent it is to me just why the old-gnostics sounded and nuts as they do sometimes. Limiting human language. They did the best they could, just like you and I do every single day.

Keep on moving onward and upward, my friend, and I'll do the same.

Don't forget to check out that Gnostic Universe post! It's basic gnostic theology 101. It's good to understand the basic difference of opinion between various gnostic sects.



Paul said...

I checked out Gnostic Universe At A Glance, but I'll get to that in a moment. I'm sorry, I thought copying and pasting the blog address would work but appears that it didn't. I hope you either remember or were able to see the name and go back and read it. I do believe there are some who truly hear God's voice. You, me at times, and some who are actually willing to connect, not just wanting to make a show in front of church on Sunday morning. Mine is discernment. I tend to know what is wrong with people when they are having a problem. I have seen some people actually get healed. We always prayed for the power of the Holy Spirit, and I have felt the "energy" present. I have know reason to doubt the source of that power. All I know is we asked for healing and received healing. I am also not doubting anything you are teaching,I am merely saying I cannot confirm where the power comes from. All I know is what little I know from growing up in the fundamentalist church.
I got a general understanding of the Gnostic Universe at a Glance, and where everyone falls into place. What really struck me was the way the first diagram was drawn. It immediately made me think of a diagram someone showed me years ago of the diff erent planes one can reach. Astral etc. How familiar are you with Eckankar? I actually met this person at my martial arts class in Lakeland. He was trying to convince me to try astral projection. Needless to say I wasn't all that keen on leaving my body. This was back when Shirley Mcclain was really promoting it. Maybe they aren't related, was just a big flashback for me. I hope this all makes sense, I am trying to write and watch Zero Dark Thirty. I have a son who is interested in Navy Seal type stuff

Angel said...

Your comments always stretch me in thirty directions at once. I can't decide what to respond to first. Well, hell. I gotta pick one. Here it is.

I JUST posted(not thirty seconds after you commented!) a short query on the blog titled "Holy Ghost or Pleroma?" because this epiphany just smacked me right between the eyes. Funny timing, eh? I think you're right. I think there is indeed something there.

I've received healing from pleroma through prayer. I know that it's true. It's real. NOBODY could convince me that I'm crazy or that you're crazy or that anyone else who believes it is crazy. When it's firsthand experience you just don't argue with gnosis. You can't, really. Because if you try then you'll end up sedated in a padded room because people will think you're crazy, arguing with yourself about god.

"Lay gnosis," which is the particular practice I keep is a lot like the laying on of hands(but you can do it anytime you want and during prayer. It activates connection)and has old history to draw upon and not just from the Bible. Then again, the other topic you mentioned, the Gnostic Universe(onion-version), ties into lay gnosis a great deal. Astral projection is a GREAT gnostic exercise, Paul! Lay gnosis directly leads to it and and and.. crap. It's too much to talk about here. On my blog in the search engine on the upper right-hand column do a search for 'lay gnosis' or just look for it on my Topics list on the bottom left column. It's a mile long. Can't miss it. There's a number of articles on this particular sub-topic within lay gnosis.

And yes, the layers of the onion-verse do consist of planes but it can also translate into spirits or ideas depending on what you're studying, either the layers of the gnostic universe or the layers of understanding or maybe the steps taken by religious orders. There are several 'lenses' to look at our existence through. If you refocus those lenses a bit then the organizational chart changes and so do the names. The idea is the same, though: to ascend to be one with pleroma and understand our place with him.

I was not familiar with Eckankar until you mentioned it here. Did some reading on their site and other places. INTERESTING!! They read like gnostics but with titles for their congregants and a physical church.

Eastern gnosticism is a beautiful thing when it's uncorrupted. Which this isn't. But it's the closest I've found to pure gnosis in a group spiritual practice. Even the Ecclesia Gnostica is more dogmatic by comparison.

Angel said...

Part II since Blogger said I talked too much...

The five minute "Sounds of Hu" track is nice. (http://www.eckankar.org/hu.html)

If you have any one person or even a small group of people in power within a religious setting it's going to get hairy. As it has been with the Eckankar. But I've got to give them some credit, it's got a core of good. Just, take away the hierarchy of power within the church and it'd be awesome. If someone has tp approve your ascension to another realm of truth and learning then it's a cult. Period. Gnosis doesn't rely on clergy. Gnosis waits on no one. If he wants you then he's going to grab you and that's that.

Gnosis is individual and doesn't require a cleric to help you through that door. There is a caveat to that though with lay gnosis: it CAN be triggered by sound and by physical touch. It's contagious!! Literally. Contagious. Or you can do it yourself by mediation in a certain way. The rest, though, is up to the new gnostic. Relations with the All are tumultuous after initial connection.

I don't believe astral projection or looking into past lives is necessary to gnosis. The astral projection just naturally happens on it's own whether you want it to or not. You can trigger it yourself or pleroma can pull you up and show you things. 99% of the time it's moving within layers of himself and not actual places or times. In the gnostic sense, then, astral projection is just full connection and wandering in rooms within him.

The past life peeking? Eh. I don't understand what good it can do, honestly. It's hard enough to live this life we have right now. Revealing what we did in past lives is usually only has as much worth as a movie from Hollywood today: entertainment and nostalgia.

I prefer not to get bogged down in that, myself.

And that's ok your link didn't work. I found your blog post after a minute or two. It's was a delight to walk down memory lane from that far back in our journey!