Monday, November 23, 2009

Songs of Solomon, Song 3

I clothe his limbs and hang from them;
I hang from his limbs. He loves me.
How would I know how to love the lord
if he didn't love me?
And who can tell us about love?
Only one who is loved knows.
I love the beloved and my soul loves him,
and I am where he reposes
and will be no stranger, for he is not petty.
He is my high merciful lord.
I have gone to merge in him.
The lover has found the beloved,
and to love the son I become the son.

Who joins the eternal? the eternal,
and who delights in the living one lives.
Such is the lord's spirit.
It doesn't lie. It teaches us ways. Be wise,
understand, and keep your eyes open.

***************************

Did you noticed the theme of being an actual part of god in lines one and two? And then in line eleven "I have gone to merge in him." Not to merge with. To merge in. This implies that the two are really one already, merely separated for a short while.

The lover has found the beloved, (I have found my love.)
and to love the son I become the son. (and to understand/love/accept the demiurge's place in this world and to get closer to the All, the Song's author feels he must metaphysically take the place of the demiurge in god's eyes. Replace him/skip him. Like chess when you're taking a piece out of play. You're closer to your goal. Become the son, not merely the grandson.)

The whole 'skip the demiurge and come to papa' concept is a bit difficult to comprehend in the beginning. Gnostics have a tendency to wax poetic about this in such a way that while it flows beautifully from the lips- it's murder on your sense of direction. It's best to read verses a couple dozen times and then let them stew and simmer in the back of your mind for a good while.

"Who joins the eternal? the eternal"
Simply put: we are immortal sparks from the well of the good god.
When we die we are going home.
"and will be no stranger, for he is not petty." In this case, ET can phone home whenever he/she wants. There's no mystery to it. Just pick up the receiver, sweetheart. The good god is about as talkative as a teenager given telephone privileges for the first time; he'll talk your ear off.

No comments: