Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Modern Detachment-- The Eyes Have It

While watching some music today in YouTube I caught an intriguing bit of advertisement and recorded it with my camera. You've probably seen it on TV or like I have, on YouTube. Please forgive the initial blurriness of the firsts few seconds, it does get more clear I assure you. I was trying to find the right angle to catch the text at the bottom of the screen under the two actors.

So in this ad we see a father and son finding a way to communicate their deep thoughts:


Long distance? Short distance? When you read what it is they're texting to one another it really doesn't matter according to the company who makes the phones. 

Now I am all for texting. Sheesh, my husband and I use texting to literally IM one another all day while he's at work. (Thank the All for unlimited plans.) Did the cat do something stupid? Yup, I send him a picture text message. And yes, that's him over there snortgiggling in his cubicle at seeing his little Princess get her claws stuck on a toy and running around like an idiot with it attached to her. Ask him what he wants for desert: me in something skimpy or how about s'mores? I love s'mores! With Nutella. Yummm!... ..... anyway. You get it. We love texting. 

My problem with this advertising is that it exhibits a classic case of modern detachment. This is hardly a new phenomenon but I feel it is increasing in its prevalence within our society. Technology makes it seem inevitable that we will grow more detached from one another. Technology makes it possible for us to go about our day without ever facing someone or really needing to look at them for more than a split second to get our business concluded. Where is the human connection? Where has it gone? No wonder so many of us are antidepressants- it's a depressing world! We're lonely and starved for real communication.

In my post about forcing gnosis I told you about a very simple exercise you can use to reconnect with people. After seeing this ad I think it needs more discussion. 

Making eye contact with anyone who passes within two yards of you and giving them an acknowledging nod, what could be easier? Now how about saying, "hello!" If you don't get any response from the person hold your ground and keep your smile intact even as you pass by one another. That smile and friendly salutation didn't really cost you anything did it? And once you are out of the immediate vicinity of the person you tried to connect with, pause for a moment and reflect: how did you feel when you smiled? Were you uplifted? Did you feel like you were a part of them for a moment? Did you feel that divine connection which says, "HEY! You're part of me and I care about you. Let me show you that someone is thinking about you right now even if you're busy and you don't have time for more than a quick hello."

What you'll find through this exercise is that you get so much more out of it than you ever expected while also brightening someone else's day. When was the last time someone smiled at that person? You can never tell. It could have been the day from hell for them and you simply taking a moment to smile and meet their gaze in a friendly manner may have lifted their spirits from a pit of despair.

Gnosis is Big Love and we have to start somewhere. Baby steps. Build your confidence and someone elses while spreading a little love. 

No comments: