Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Between the Folds

Origami! RNA sequencing. Tissue paper crumpling. Wet molding. Computer models and designs for airbags. Sacred geometry. Sound intriguing?

Between the Folds is a beautiful documentary I watched a few months ago and I wanted to make sure I posted something about it here since I mentioned origami and DNA folding in a recent previous post.

Look for it on YouTube, Hulu, Netflix(how I watched it) and any other place which might have documentaries of a scientific or artistic nature. 

This movie inspired me to look up origami online. I made my first paper crane that day. It had some wobbly wings and one crooked assed beak but ya know what? It was fun and it reminded me to have fun with simple things around me like paper.

Between the Folds follows several artists in their ever changing craft but also explores the real scientific boundaries which are being crossed by... origami scientists! They're in Harvard and Yale and Princeton. These folks aren't slouches and they're radically changing our understanding of physics. 

Watched this with my kids and they both loved it. Go find it!!

No comments: