Monday, July 12, 2010

Lay Gnosis, Reiki, Etc. --Chadly's Comments

In responding to a Reader(Chadly) on some much earlier blog posts I found that our discussion was getting so long and convoluted Blogger kept nagging me about the length of my return comments. *smacks Blogger* If I want to write a book, damn it, then I will!

However, in deference to technology I decided to make it a bit more coherent and move it to the front for anyone else interested.{Here is a link to the video we're talking about.}

In response to my post on Intro To Lay Gnosis Chadly wrote:
"Personally, I always understood Pleroma to be more the Gnostic version of "Heaven". When I speak of the True God, I refer to "it" more as "First Thought" or "The All", maybe even "Mother/Father", etc.

I agree much with your early statements about dogmatic religion's prayers basically not reaching. Just curious though, what are your views of the more "progressive" religions/denominations, such as the more liberal Episcopals or the United Church of Christ? Those are the two most liberal I can think of, other than Unitarian-Universalism.

About to watch the video now. So far it seems an interesting concept. It does seem similar to me to witchcraft and the spellwork I've done, and I personally speculate that witchcraft(at least, as practiced by those of us who consider ourselves Gnostic Witches and Gnostic Druids) taps into the same energy/source, both internally and externally.

Addendum: I just watched the video, and I find it very fascinating. It actually does kind of remind me of what I know of Reiki. It also reminds me of a couple of practices I used to do when I first started down the metaphysical path, when I considered myself a Christian Witch, that I haven't done in awhile and may try to resume.

The first was a grounding technique to rid yourself of negative energy built up throughout the day. You ground yourself and visualize energy black in color(or whatever color you associate with the negative). Then, using your hands, you kind of "pick off" that energy and throw it out into the cosmos, replacing it gradually into a white energy field, or whatever color you most associate with "positive".

The second was a visualization technique to help in focus of energy during spells, where you make sort of an "energy ball" in between your hands, visualizing it as varying strengths and sizes as you develop your mental skills.

The reason this reminded me of those, is because of the interesting fact of simply how I learn. In learning new skills, I'm a visual learner, learning by copying others, which is why the language I learned quickest outside of English, was American Sign Language. In learning music, I learn by ear, hearing it and mimicking. But in both of these exercises previously mentioned, I would have a difficult time visualizing the energy and the colors, and find myself noticing the *feeling*,such as noticing tingling in my hands during the energy ball visualizations. In retrospect, maybe that's one of the reasons most of my spells tend to be mentally/emotionally focused and attempting to draw things to me(such as to improve my attitude or draw opportunities to me), rather than explicitly trying to change the external, such as making it rain.

Perhaps that's why I eventually grew lax in these exercises - I didn't think I was "doing it right" because what I expected to 'see', wasn't what happened. Perhaps now that I'm becoming more stable in my spiritual path, I'll revisit them."

I am responding back:

"Christian Witch. I like that. Yeah, I can identify with that. Makes sense. But only when you're still in that stage of development. Once you move past it then it is no longer witchcraft. There is no craft involved. It's you and Pleroma. That's it. You find all the energy coalescing into the one place it truly exists instead of separated out into various aspects like what witchcraft focuses on.

http://gnostic-unrest.blogspot.com/2009/11/celebrate-2012.html
Read the scripture quote in that entry. It helps identify somewhat the attitude of the 'hierarchy' of the totem pole I talked about. Difficult concept to wrap your brain around. It does takes time.

The All is heaven. It is the place and "person" of what created the elements our universe is made from. It is the primordial spark. First atom. The very atom which exploded into the Big Bang. Your term "First Thought" would be about right. Kudos!

Here's how I keep it straight: the All made the elements. Sophia made Yahweh and hid him, embarrassed because he was flawed. Yahweh wanted someone to play with and so he made our universe out of the elements already present. Yahweh didn't make any elements. He molded what Pleroma already created.

The more liberal Episcopalians are still reaching. And the UCC. They've got a ways to go. If they get there ... we'll see. It'll be interesting to see just how close they come to being Unitarian Universalists in a few decades. And speaking of Unitarian Universalism-- Wow. I was just thinking about writing an article on them yesterday afternoon! Sheesh. Quit picking my brain, man! I already had some literature sitting here waiting for me to compile. That's really funny.

Unitarian Universalism and Buddhism are, in their own unique ways, the absolute closest I can think of to gnosticism. Actually, I'd put (farthest to closest, top three:) Atheism, then Unitarian Universalism, and then Buddhism sitting closest to gnosticism. My explanation of Atheism is in this post. They're like... baby gnostics in cribs.

Buddhism comes closer because of the meditative practices and body/mind awareness techniques which are so essential for a lasting connection to Pleroma. UU is only one step further out because, yes, Jesus was a prophet imbued with gnosis and he wanted to pass it on to all of humanity(hence the laying on of hands and the Holy Ghost)- but we cannot prove that he was in (a literal sense) the Son of God as what literal religions would want us to belief with "faith." Gnosis has not a darn thing to do with faith. Because technically, so are you. You are the Son of God. And I am the Daughter of God. Clarification: Yahweh! And you and I are both the grand(or great grand) children of Pleroma.

The whole definition of "God" versus "Pleroma/All" is kinda nerve wrecking in the beginning. So I call Yahweh Yahweh and the All the All or Pleroma. Simplifies the whole "God" umbrella.

UU's cannon is in fact cannon-less. They are basically hippies high on gnosis. Which is what I LOVE! I've been curious how many UU churches I could find locally. I'll have to intensify my search so I can write about it. I'd really love to visit one.

Their rejection of Hell is one of the most interesting aspects of their ... creed. Even though they don't really have a creed, per say. Let's just say that it's a common enough thought pattern amongst the members that it's "Commonly Accepted and Recognized" by the UU. This rejection of Hell is a very common belief among gnostics. UU's may not call themselves gnostics but they are. The majority of their members are either on the fence about to be toppled over straight into gnosis or are already there but call themselves UU's instead of gnostics.

Nice to see that Arius managed to have a lasting legacy after being stomped on by the new formed Vatican. Poor man put up with a lot.

If you have performed Reiki then your hand is on the door handle of gnosis!! Literally. You are on the threshold about to walk through the door.

The light ball or static electricity you describe is very familiar to me. (Although when you have one dominant hand it can get a little tricky.) The life energy field we all share can be transferred and manipulated. Isn't it curious, though, how the Church refuses to acknowledge that Reiki is in fact the same action as laying-on of hands healing? They'd much rather perform an exorcism. Ya know...
just in case it happens to be a demon instead of simple illness. Overkill.

I haven't explored traditional Reiki too much. But from what I've read in passing there is a "Secret Art of Inviting." Is this perhaps the touch of lay gnosis? As Steve's video shows, lay gnosis is communicable(oh my God it's catching!!! lol) and so transmittable not only by touch but by internet and sound.

Blessings to you,

~Angel

12 comments:

Chadly said...

Glad to see my long comment was able to post! I made the 2nd comment because of the error message concerning length when making the first comment.

In my experience, Witchcraft(and therefore the more magic(k)al practices of Druidry) isn't so much energy separated into various aspects. We still see everything as connected(how it connects and where it goes back to depends on your tradition and personal path), and are simply drawing from it and using a bit of it. So if I want to do a spell for good luck, for example. I would choose the appropriate alignments if I felt the need to, light the candle of appropriate color, and recite the spell. The whole while visualizing the intent, the desire, and drawing from the connections, the energy, used in making it happen. I hope that makes sense. I'm not sure I know how to quite put it in words.

Chadly said...

Comment part 2, for length:

"First Thought" actually came from one of the wikipedia articles I referenced in one of my posts, I think. I liked how it sounded, so incorporated it into my language of description. I like how you describe the hierarchy. One thing I really struggled with at first was how to make sense of the deities I worshipped as a Pagan, in a Gnostic mindframe. Now I just feel like that was The All reaching out to me in a way that made sense to me at the time, a way I could accept while shedding my fundamentalist mindset, before moving on to the reality of Gnosticism. And I've always felt like Gnosticism was kind of a "Westernized Buddhism".

JeniMac said...

So...I tried that video last night and was totally freaked out. I don't understand any of what that guy was saying, but my hands were definitely tingling.

Angel said...

You got one of those messages from blogger, too, huh? I think I'm going to get one with this comment.

And I think that's quite ok if we both bumble around a bit here. We're in deep waters.

Your explanation was totally cogent. Remember- I was a practitioner myself! We can absolutely positively agree that everything in witchcraft/druidism is connected- but worshiped or ... USED? ... as separate identities or powers as needed. Like a chain. Each link identifies as a separate aspect of the All. Still connected to the All by its very nature and relationship- and its practitioners fully acknowledge that relationship. But witchcraft focuses on those specific aspects.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the craft is more hands-on with it's candles, colors, shapes, herbs, and such. It's simply meant to focus the human's consciousness to a certain 'compartment' or section of the All because the person may not be ready to swallow the whole fish yet. Well, actually he's kind of a whale when I think about it. Overwhelming. Crafters are practicing at getting to know the All in smaller doses before going for the larger whole. It's all an evolutionary process.

When your time is done with it you'll know. It will come as quite a surprise, too, though you may hold onto a few knickknacks here and there.

Buddhists have their 'craft' however it's not labeled as such. The incense, mantras, prayer flags, etc.... it's all a big play box of tools to focus the mind and clear out the human chatter. I've never been able to get rid of it completely, myself. I'm bad at meditating. So the All and I have a running competition with Who Can Talk Louder. Kinda fun. And I think sometimes when he's peeved with me he purposely whispers. Repetitively. Until I think I'm quite certain my brain is on a loop of some kind. Then it hits me, "Oh, I'm sorry, were you saying something?" *smacks self*

Jeni- I am so happy for you!!! *Big Hug* Thank you for trusting your gut instinct. To be freaked out by the experience is quite normal. You will not be sorry you did it, though. Lay gnosis will broaden your horizons exponentially.

Yep, I also had to watch/listen to Steve's vid a few times before I decided to follow along to his instructions. It's such a strange concept to be faced with it's hard to understand it unless you just DO it and then deal with everything after-the-fact. A lot of the things Steve describes are what you're only going to experience days or weeks from now.

The midnight serenading, jokes, etc... ugh. The honeymoon phase is pretty wacky. Every day is a treat. The All is overwhelming at first. Like I described above, he's a whale. Not just a big fish. A WHALE of emotion. You're going to be drunk for a few days off this initial experience *smile* Just go with it. It's natural. It's the All's way of demonstrating to you just how much he misses you and loves you.

Read, think, and have fun with it. It's not a race.


Blessings & Hugs,

~Angel


PS. KEEP A JOURNAL BY YOUR BED!!! The next few weeks are going to be crazy with dreams and snippets of this, that, and everything else. Write about it. Even strange seemingly random sentences you hear in your sleep or semi-consciousness. You'll forget it and then kick yourself later. It's all relevant.

JeniMac said...

I was so freaked out that I paused the video and ran to get my husband. lol! The video hadn't even gotten to the point where the guy puts his hands facing each other, it was just after he started talking. My husband also experienced the tingles but a bit later, after doing the hand exercise.

Something I'm confused about...how do gnostics *know* this is God (Pleroma) and not just your inner self? I admit I know next to nothing about Gnosticism.

Steve Truebluehealer said...

Your are my Special Angel, And I love you so.
Another victory for the forces of Light. Fireworks display in me.Bells.Tears.

Angel said...

It IS freaky, isn't it?!! Freakier that it's a completely natural phenomenon.

But it's not hypnosis and not any other form of persuasion. It's your inner intelligence naturally responding to signal phrases or concepts it recognizes as true. It's like your soul recognized Pleroma's call. He's been calling you all your life.

As far as the hand tingle being Pleroma? It's not. The tingle is a physical manifestation we feel as that umbilical cord-like connection between us and Pleroma is manually opened. Technically, it's always open and always has been. But the physical manifestation(tingle) lets us know with our less-than-stellar human senses that it is in fact WIDE open and receptive. Like throwing open the barn doors and letting a herd of cattle out all at once. Or in, as it is in this case. Pleroma has been knocking at that door of your soul all your life(that's the longing you've felt) and now that the door is open it can feel like a heat wave of love. Your longing has been answered. It's that simple.

YOU might not have understood what Steve was talking about but your soul did.

Jeni, m'dear, I was in practically the same boat you're in regarding gnosis when I found the video. I tripped over it. And it's been a riot ever since. I've been researching and learning ever since.

On the right hand column of my blog is a section on Gnostic Definitions. I'd go from top to bottom on those.

I also quote and then talk in depth about gnostic text verses in The Gnostic Bible section. Just ones that happen to jump out at me in particular that I feel inclined to talk about or I learned something profound from. Also, of course is the link to Personal Illuminations. That's on the left.

There are two great ways of searching for topics on my blog. The search engine on the top right and on the bottom left column I have a whole slew of tags. I tag everything meticulously. Either way, if you search for "lay gnosis" there are a handful of posts I've done on the topic as compared to literalist religion:

There's the direct link.
http://gnostic-unrest.blogspot.com/search/label/lay%20gnosis

Looking up in Wikipedia: gnosis, gnostic sects, gnostic universe, etc.. is another great avenue.

Just be aware that reading is not the same thing as doing-- however, your soul does learn a great deal by reading.

Gnostics study to become more fluent gnostics and to have a deeper understanding of Pleroma.

Gnosis is not a faith or religion, really. It is an experience.

I think that's why lay gnosis struck me so hard in the gut. It is a physical manifestation of the actual live-wire connection we have to Pleroma. What comes next is truly exciting. Watch Steve's other videos about the coming weeks in lay gnosis. Things you'll experience. Truly amazing. I've gone through all of it.

Btw, your atheism is an expression of gnostic longing, no matter how at peace you've felt since realizing your conversion to atheism. I actually think of atheists as blank slate humans. You've graduated from literalism, m'dear. That is something to congratulate yourself on!!!! SERIOUSLY! You've overcome the greatest hurdle humans face in spiritual evolution!!

Read this article and it's comments on losing faith and atheism:
http://gnostic-unrest.blogspot.com/2010/06/losing-faith-vs-atheism.html (Disregard DM's post. He's a stalking pest who doesn't realize that GnosticUnrest isn't atheist.)

Angel said...

*smile* Steve, you're the angel. I can't tell you how thankful I am that you got up the nerve to sit down in front of a camera and guide us all through lay gnosis. Family connections are reaffirmed in gnosis. There are no boundaries.

I offer this to you:

Gospel of Truth
"Until the moment when they who are passing through all these things... awaken, they see nothing because the dreams were nothing. It is thus that they who cast ignorance from them like sleep do not consider it to be anything, nor regard its properties to be something real, but they renounce them like a dream in the night and they consider the knowledge of the father to be the dawn. It is thus that each has acted, as if asleep, during the time of ignorance, and thus a person comes to understand, as if awakening. And happy is the one who comes to himself and awakens. Indeed, blessings on one who has opened the eyes of the blind."

Chadly said...

I completely agree about the herbs, candles, etc. being simply to aid in focus. One of the first explanations I read of spellwork was describing it as "prayers with props", and practitioners stating that if so desired, the spell at its simplest could be performed simply with your intent and the words spoken. The candles, etc., add power to the spell not because of any innate magical ability within themselves, but because of how those things aid in the witch's/druid's focus. That's how I see it too. That's part of why most of my spells, if using anything, only use candles, and maybe some paper. Perhaps I'll post some on my blog as examples sometime. My wands and athame, while I know their spiritual purposes, are primarily for decorative purposes or used as an extension of my hand in ritual. I don't know that I'll ever really fully abandon it. Practice spellwork less, perhaps, as I haven't needed to very often recently. I feel like it's something that has helped me become aware of the things around me that are somehow related to the particular spells I've performed, and helped me become more "proactive" in my spirituality.

Anonymous said...

Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

Angel said...

Patmos Pete, why would I choose to FEAR God when he wants me to love him?

He doesn't want to hurt me, he wants to teach me how to love and be loved.

He doesn't want to judge me, he wants to explain right from wrong and then let learn on my own terms.

What is there to fear?

Ultimately when we worship him as the loving father he is we are better able to understand his mind and that is the meaning of life.

Fundamentalist/Literalist thinking has no place in gnosis, sorry Patmos Pete.

Gnosis is ultimately about rationality.

Steve Truebluehealer said...

Patmos Pete why should anyone fear Pure Affection? You are a victim of biblical literalism and seemingly wish to contage it to others.Do question your unquestioning quote. Pure Affection can be physically perceived at truebluehealer.com . Isn't that what you want? Isn't that why you read the bible? In search of Gnosis? Gnowing the Holy spirit?
20 minutes is all it takes.